Monday, June 23, 2008

He Always Makes Things Better


A hit song from the early 70’s lamented, “Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.” Some people approach Mondays with a negative attitude. It is the beginning of the work week. Also, we find it easy to complain about a rainy day, especially when we have something important to us planned.

Consider the perspective of the various psalmists toward life. Writing by inspiration, each of them dealt with stressful, disappointing, and difficult situations. But what made the difference was their attitude toward the Lord. Consider the calm assurance emphasized in the following statement, “Truly my soul silently waits for God; from Him comes my salvation, He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved” (Psalm 62:1 & 2).

This is a certainly a beautiful picture of triumphant trusting in the Lord. Did he understand everything that was happening around him? No, but his trust in the Lord remained solid. In the opening words of this psalm, we find set forth the psalmist’s resolve to remain true to the Lord.

The strength of the psalmist’s intention is emphasized, as he declares, “I shall not be greatly moved.” Please ponder this very definite language. Indeed, you and I will be strengthened as we view the struggles and stresses of life with this attitude. Instead of imagining the worst concerning the difficulties that can wreck havoc in our lives, let us always manifest the quiet courage seen in the psalmists. This means approaching each day with the resolve, “I shall not be greatly moved?”

Great victories are in store for us in the Lord, as our trust remains solidly grounded in Him. The Lord will never let us down. The counsel of His Word will never mislead us. Most assuredly, He always makes all things better.

No comments: